Here at Spring Cypress Presbyterian Church, the Gospel is central to everything we do.
At SCPC we believe ideas have consequences, that theology matters, and that right belief (orthodoxy) ought to result in right conduct (orthopraxy). Simultaneously, we recognize that the Church (of which SCPC is one particular congregation) belongs to Jesus, and as such we recognize that sincere believers have legitimate differences of conviction and belief regarding how we interpret God’s self-revelation, the Bible. Therefore it is our desire and practice to be faithful proponents of what we believe to be true while showing charitability to those with whom we disagree.
Consequently, at Spring Cypress Church we understand our identity in terms of “tiers.” Specifically, we see ourselves as being Christian, Protestant, Evangelical, Reformed Presbyterians:
As Protestants we affirm the “5 Solas of the Reformation” with enthusiasm:
- Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) = Scripture alone is God’s authoritative Word, and is thus the final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
- Sola Gratia (Grace Alone) = Salvation is a free gift of God, apart from any works or merit on our part.
- Sola Fide (Faith Alone) = The gift of grace is received by faith as the appointed means of salvation.
- Solus Christus (Christ Alone) = Salvation is found in Christ alone, to the exclusion of all other possibilities.
- Soli Deo Gloria (Glory to God Alone) = Salvation, indeed all of life, is to and for the glory of God alone.
As Evangelicals, our beliefs are consistent with the statement of faith as adopted by the National Association of Evangelicals:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
As Reformed Presbyterians we are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in America. Thus we adhere to the Westminster Confession of Faith along with the Westminster Larger Catechism and Westminster Shorter Catechism as the official doctrinal standards of Spring Cypress Presbyterian Church. We believe these confessional documents are an accurate summary of the Bible and form the immediate perspective with which we understand and teach God’s Word.